Thursday, May 31, 2012

Myth #5 - Everyone Who Works in a Library is a Librarian

At my last campus library position, the students thought I was the library assistant because I "had to read them stories", and occasionally they saw me sitting in my office (that doubled as a storage room) doing the paperwork of ordering, grant writing, or completing reports.

So if I wasn't the librarian, who was? According to the students, it was the two assistants who "checked out books." It seems the students thought my assistants had the "funner job".

Haver you ever had a case of mistaken identity?

3 comments:

  1. In my area, school librarians are being eliminated and replaced with either volunteers or library assistants. I think somehow we, librarians, have failed to communicate or address what we really do in the library. Most people I visit with think the position consists of checking books in and out and maybe reading. If changing our titles will help clarify what certified librarians actually do in the library, then maybe we won't be so quickly eliminate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assert myself with the library paraprofessionals; they know things need to be completed correctly and frequently check with me to be sure. Students see this and make the correct assumption.

    We are lucky enough to have a wonderful Director of Library Services in our district. She has not only stood up for us over and over again, but she has been preparing us for at least 5 years (That's how long I've been a "librarian.") to face the "downsizing." Numerous times in meetings, she has us respond to the question, "Do the teachers and administrators see you as and integral part of the education of the students?" She has been a wonderful influence making sure we stay relavant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rfaber
    I feel that I have enough on the job training and have taken enough classes that the skills I have learned make me qualified. I am not only the librarian, but also the Website Administrator and Network administrator. I read at least 2 books a week, have fully catalogued the library and set up a school network with 135 computers. I understand that many think a degree is important (and I have one in economics), but I truly believe that many of the skills can be learned on the job.

    ReplyDelete