Thursday, August 29, 2013

Welcome Back

I did it! 

I finally produced my Library Media Centre orientation in video form this year.  The plan is to have advisory and home room teachers share it with students. Now EVERYONE will receive the information, whether their teachers bring them to the library or not, and my time, as the librarian for 14 grades and 770 students, will be used most effectively.

Here it is:




What I learned:

iMovie

This was my first real experience with iMovie.  I have been a MovieMaker user for years, and while the programs are similar, I still had plenty to learn.  I found that with iMovie I could do so much more and my editing was more precise.  I used my in-house grade 7 student to teach me tips and tricks, such as the Ken Burns tool, and she shortened my learning curve considerably.

Garage Band  

I had never used Garage Band before, but after a quick tutorial from my grade 7 daughter, I used it for the voice over.  Quick, easy, and I was able to edit out where I stuttered and sputtered.

QuickTime 

I create a couple of screencasts of online resources.  QuickTime allowed me to crop just the part of the screen I wanted to use.

Next time I will: 

Use more still photos.  The quality is better and by using Ken Burns to pan, the picture is more stable.

Coming Soon:

I was almost done when I realized I had barely skimmed over the library catalog (Destiny).  Rather than rewrite my script, I decided to create a follow-up video about using the catalog.  This led to the idea of creating a series of LMC videos to release every 2-3 weeks, highlighting databases, citing sources, new books, and special events.  If I cannot get the teachers to bring students to the library, I will take the library to them!

2 comments:

  1. This is great, Cindy! I get new students throughout the year at my middle school, and making an orientation video has been on my to do list for a long time. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I wish I could remember all the librarians that inspired me with their library orientation videos and so I could thank them. My next goal is to recruit students to make the 2014 version. Let me know when yours is published... I'd love to watch it.

    ReplyDelete